top of page
  • Writer's pictureDessie

Urgent visa help for the civilians in the Hamas – Israel conflict

Australia’s Department of Home Affairs has provided emergency information for those impacted by the Hamas – Israel conflict and is prioritising visa assessment for those directly affected and with urgent need for travel. The visa support page on the Department’s website (listed below) offers help with a number of issues including:

· Making a visa application to travel to Australia – If you wish to make a new application for a visa to travel to Australia you should consider options relevant to your circumstances. This includes urgency of travel. Close family members can apply on behalf of their family members in affected areas.

· Urgent departures – if you are seeking to depart Israel or the Occupied Palestinian Territories urgently, and are directly impacted by the continuing conflict, consider applying for a Visitor (subclass 600) visa.

· Family in Australia – if you have a relative in Australia and you apply for a Visitor visa, you can make an application under the Tourist stream and provide details of your Australian relative. You do not need to make an application under the Sponsored Family Visitor stream.

· Extending your stay in Australia – if the conflict has affected you and your family and you wish to extend your stay, there are a range of visa options available. This includes the skilled, family, student and visitor visa programs. Check your visa expiry date and visa conditions in VEVO, the myVEVO app or your visa grant letter. If a ‘no further stay’ condition (8503, 8534, 8535 or 8540) applies to your current visa, you can apply to have that condition waived by completing a no Further Stay waiver request.

· Children travelling with one parent – some children may be travelling across international borders with only one parent. Australia commits to ensuring the welfare of children. To travel to Australia, a minor must have permission from both parents. If you cannot provide this consent, you can make an application with available documentation.

Free interpreting and translating services are available to affected people and their families in Australia. The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National, 131 450) is an interpreting service provided by the Department of Home Affairs. It assists people who do not speak English, and agencies and businesses that need to communicate with their non-English speaking clients. Translation of documents is also available through the Department’s Free Translating Service. Impacted people arriving in Australia are encouraged to call The Migration Translators on 1800 962 100 for more information.

Please visit: Home Affairs for more detailed information.

Contact Assent Migration Lawyers for assistance with your next visa.

13 views0 comments


bottom of page