Medical requirements for temporary visa applicants streamlined
The Australian Government is streamlining requirements for temporary visa applicants in Australia who now will need to undertake relevant medical examinations and/or chest x-rays only if they:
· have applied for a medical treatment, temporary protection or provisional visa
· expect to incur medical costs or need medical treatment
· intend to work as (or study to be) a doctor, dentist, nurse or paramedic
· will enter a hospital, aged or disability care facility (if higher tuberculosis risk)
· are pregnant and intending to have the baby in Australia
· will work or train at an Australian childcare centre
· are aged over 75 years (if applying for a visitor visa)
· have had previous household contact with tuberculosis, or
· are requested to do so by the Department.
Other temporary visa applicants in Australia will not need to undertake medical examinations and chest x-rays to meet the health requirement. The department is updating its systems to reflect the new policy and will update ImmiAccount information. The Department’s contracted service provider, Bupa, has notified visa applicants of appointment cancellations by SMS.
Applicants must complete questions on their form truthfully. If the Department is made aware of false declarations, it may result in the cancellation of the applicant’s visa. If circumstances have changed since a form has been completed and you think you may need to undertake a medical examination and/or chest x-ray you must notify the Department. You can provide details through your ImmiAccount. This measure applies to all eligible temporary visa applications currently with the Department and new applications made in Australia.
The Government will review these arrangements in early 2023.
This applies to the following visa subclasses:
· 403 Temporary Work (International Relations)
· 405 Investor Retirement
· 407 Training
· 408 Temporary Activity
· 417 and 462 Working Holiday
· 461 New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary)
· 476 Skilled - Recognised Graduate
· 482 Temporary Skill Shortage
· 485 Temporary Graduate
· 500 Students
· 590 Student Guardian
· 600 Visitor
· 870 Sponsored Parent (Temporary)
Get in touch with Assent Migration Lawyers to help you navigate the criteria for the successful outcome of your visa application.