top of page
  • Writer's pictureDessie

Extensions for temporary graduate (Subclass 485) visa holders

A Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) is a visa for eligible international students to live, study, and work in Australia after their graduation from a local education provider. It offers opportunities for international students to gain post qualification local work experience.

Current skills shortages in Australia in some industries mostly related to the nearly two years border closures due to COVID-19, led the Australian Government to review the rules around the Temporary Graduate 485 visa program. Effective from 1 July 2023, eligible international students who have graduated from certain Australian higher education providers will be able to gain additional time of post-study residence and work rights between one to four years dependent on the completed studies in Australia.

Applicants must be under 50 years of age, holders of a 485 visa and must meethealth and character and other eligibility criteria to be granted once off extension. You must have obtained the qualification that led to the granting of your first Temporary Graduate visa in the post-study work stream, from an Australian education provider who is registered on CRICOS and offer degree-level programs. Applicants will be granted longer visas if the campus studied at was based in a designated regional area. Most locations outside major cities in Australia are classed as designated regional areas for migration purposes.

This visa extension will be granted only if the applicants have not been previously granted a Temporary Graduate visa in the graduate work stream, a second Temporary Graduate post-study work stream visa or a skilled - Recognised Graduate (subclass 476) visa as a primary visa holder.

As the holder of a first Temporary Graduate visa in the post-study work stream, or a Temporary Graduate visa in the replacement stream, you must have lived only in a designated regional area for at least two years immediately before applying for the second Temporary Graduate post-study work stream visa. You must show evidence that in the last two years, you resided in a designated regional area. There are complex rules about this where the regional area dictates the extension time available to you.

Contact Assent Migration Lawyers to help you navigate successfully these changes are important changes.

14 views0 comments


bottom of page